Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Buxom Lip Tarnish: Blackmail

Monday, May 7, 2012

Buxom Lip Tarnish: Blackmail


I think I've mentioned it before, but I absolutely love Buxom's lip products. I find them extremely moisturizing, low maintenance, and I like the minty feeling that they leave on my lips. Buxom's Lip Tarnish in Blackmail is no exception. I've been wearing it basically every day.

First, the claims. Bare Escentuals claims this is a "plumping and moisturizing lip stain."

I don't know about plumping. This is something I point out every time I review a plumping product: no plumper works on me. Not even Lip Venom. This does have a minty sensation, but there's no pain. Once again, I never experience pain with plumpers. While most people find Lip Venom painful, I never felt a thing with it on.

Moisturizing? That's a definite yes, in my opinion. This is extremely balmy and the moisture it leaves behind is seriously long term. After wearing this for a day, my lips feel incredible for days. I don't know what Buxom does exactly with its formulas that works so well for me, but I do adore their products.

As for lip stain? It doesn't stain. In every way I can think of, it really acts more like a very pigmented tinted balm. It lasts four to five hours on my lips and eating meals makes it fade a bit more quickly, but not by much.

I like the texture of the pencil itself, as well. I was scared the product was going to be very melty and gooey because of the gloss factor, but it wasn't. It simply feels like balm. Your hair won't stick to it like it might stick to a gloss.

It has a slight hint of the Buxom gloss scent, but it's taken down by a lot.

Also the Sephora site says, "it tints like a stain, shines like a gloss, moisturizes like a balm, and plumps like nobody's business."

Bare Escentuals Lip Tarnish in Blackmail
The pigmentation is excellent. Bare Escentuals calls this full color and I agree. Also, it has a lovely medium glossiness. Not quite as shiny as a gloss but still very shiny, and this shade makes my teeth look superbly white.

Now for the packaging.


The way this works is that the cap on the far right goes on top of the cap on the far left and the cap on the far left goes on top of the pencil itself. It doesn't add too much weight and, obviously, it's properly sized for the pencil.

I think the concept of putting a sharpener right in the cap is good, but somewhat wasteful. I do see myself sticking this on less convenient jumbo lip pencil packaging, though, if I ever use this pencil up (which I probably won't be doing soon--I've been using it three times daily for about a month or so and have only had to sharpen it once).

The sharpener itself is good quality.

Bare Escentuals Buxom Lip Tarnish in Blackmail
Blackmail is a lovely deep, glossy brown. It looks slightly plummy on me (all browns do). It's not particularly unique, but this type of color is a standby for me.

The Good:
  • I like Blackmail. It's a great cool brown that I like on my skin tone. If you like cool, deep browns, I think you'll like this.
  • Moisturizing. Very.
  • Pigmented.
  • Feels like a balm, but lasts like a lipstick. Four or five hours? No problem.
  • Glossy, but not sticky or gloopy like a gloss. All glosses are sticky, in my opinion, even the 'non-sticky' ones. My hair did not stick to this.
  • I like that a good sharpener is included (and since it's part of the cap, it probably won't get lost, either).
  • I like the minty feeling.
The Bad:
  •  It doesn't 'stain' even though this seems to be sold primarily as a stain.
The Neutral:
  • Plumping?
  • The pencil is not as super-shiny as a typical gloss. It's more medium-shiny.
  • Light sweet scent.
Overall, I really like this product. My main quibble is the lack of staining in a product that is called a 'stain.' However, if you want the look of a stain plus gloss without the actual staining, this is a great option. It's extremely moisturizing, conveniently packaged, and I like the color I chose. I will be buying more shades.
This is $18.00 at Sephora.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...