Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Disney Inspired: Mulan

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Disney Inspired: Mulan


This week for my Disney series with Robyn, I got Mulan! <3333 It was my favorite Disney movie, so yay!


Mulan came out when I was in the first grade, and I loved her. She was the first Disney heroine who was a total badass. I know she wasn't perfect, but darnit she was a sweet girl who did what she had to, no matter how badly the odds were stacked against her. Love you, Mulan!

Mulan wore a bunch of different outfits, and not much makeup for most of the movie (well, she was in full clunky, Han Dynasty armor, so...) and I feel like doing some sort of take on the makeup she wore to her matchmaking ceremony would be sorta missing the point, what with the whole that-not-being-the-real-her thing being the most major point of her characterization. I think one thing the writers hit on the head was that Mulan didn't suddenly come into herself when she was pretending to be a guy; I do hate that thing where when a woman doesn't fit the stereotypical female gender roles they have to fit perfectly into the male one (I hate it! It doesn't actually call gender roles into question, it just says, "Hey, the perfectly feminine women are women and the ones who aren't as girly as society expects them to be? They're practically dudes!"). Mulan was a girl--a feminine girl, even--she just didn't fit the picture of the perfect girl she was 'supposed' to be. And she was so darn cute, too! I rewatched the movie just yesterday; the part where she looked into her reflection on the shield and said that she was nothing made me cry (I'm such a wuss, right?).

Now I'm going off on a tangent... What I was trying to say is that the colors I used were inspired by the ruqun that she wore in the picture above. It is gorgeous. (I'm only 95% sure that's called a ruqun: if someone knows better, please let me know).


Tools:
  • Dense blush brush (MAC 129)
  • Medium shader (MAC 239)
  • Blending brush (MAC 217)
Cosmetics:
  • tokidoki blush in Popettina (Brownish rose)
  • MAC Lipglass in Instant Gold (Gold)
  • Shiro Cosmetics eyeshadow in Unsatisfactory Mark (Red)
  • tokidoki eyeshadow in Soya (Chartreuse)
  • tokidoki eyeshadow in Meteo (Royal Blue)
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Liner Pencil in Zero (Black)
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Liner Pencil in Binge (Royal blue)
Eyes:
Primer. Pat Soya into the inner half of the lid with the 239 and Meteo into the outer half. Use the 217 to blend the two shades together, and blend Unsatisfactory Mark into the crease with the same brush. Bring Meteo up slightly to make Unsatisfactory Mark look more burgundy. Line the upper lashline with Zero and the lower lashline with Binge. Mascara!

Lips:
Instant Gold.

Face:
Popettina.


I wound up using a lot of the colors from my tokidoki Robbery Palette (which has been somewhat neglected). I thought the green was perfect. I tried and failed at doing a cut crease. Any tips for that, guys?

In any case, excuse me while I listen to Reflection a million times and then I'll Make A Man out of you a million more. Be sure to check out Robyn's take on Mickey!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...