Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Toolsday: MAC Brush Cleanser

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Toolsday: MAC Brush Cleanser


People will occasionally email me to ask what some of my must have makeup tools are, and I thought it would be fun to do a weekly post where I review one thing that is a fixture in my makeup collection/routine/whatever.

And I decided to make the name punny. I know, I know; it's horrible and corny and awful, but please don't slap me, I just couldn't resist!

For those of you who don't use this, I'd like to introduce you to one of my all-time must have products: MAC Brush Cleanser!

MAC's Brush Cleanser was part of my very first MAC purchase, and since then, I haven't really found better.

This is a really simple cleanser for your brushes that's good for both spot cleaning and deep cleaning. I generally find most brush shampoos are just too sudsy for a really nice spot clean. This does lather when you mix with water and work it into the bristles, but when you don't use water it dries up straight away (literally in seconds).

This is also an amazing product for getting every trace of product off your brushes. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that some of my white-bristled brushes would stain from ultra pigmented shadows; I was wrong. This cleanser really gets it all off. My MAC 239 looks pretty much just as white and clean as the day I bought it, two years after the fact.

This smells... clean. That's the only word I can think of. Nothing that makes me go "Wow, that's great!" but nothing that makes me want to vomit, either. The smell is very light, barely present and doesn't really stick around. I can detect a bit of alcohol in the scent (that's probably why it dries so fast).

I love this brush cleanser just because of the convenience factor. It comes bottled with a nice spout cap, you pour a little out onto a paper towel rub your brush against it, and it's clean enough to use a different color. Can't get it simpler than that. I use this to spot clean once a day and deep clean weekly, and a bottle lasts me three to four months.

The Good:
  • Cleans very effectively, including getting bright colors out of white bristles.
  • You don't have to wait for this to dry.
  • Convenient bottle of a decent size.
The Bad:
Nothing really.

The Neutral:
  • This has no strong smell. The smell it does have is a little alcohol-ish.
Overall, if you aren't patient enough to make your own spot cleaner and need something convenient that'll dry quickly and clean your brush up, I definitely don't think you'll be disappointed with this. I've admittedly only tried three or four other cleansers, but I keep coming back to this one because it just works that well for me!

This is currently available from MAC Cosmetics for $12.00.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...