Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Sundara Cosmetics Review: Overview (Details and Things)

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sundara Cosmetics Review: Overview (Details and Things)

Recently I had the opportunity to review a newer indie company on Etsy, Sundara Cosmetics. Let's start off and say that I'm very impressed.

Okay, first lets get a quick rundown of their store done with. Sundara Cosmetics is a lovely little indie mineral makeup company that offers shadows in three sizes: full size (5 gram jar with sifter), mini size (3 gram jar with sifter) and sample size (packaged in baggies). I've said this before and I'll say it again. I absolutely unequivocally adore the availability of mini size jars. As a girl who rarely uses shades up, they are always the more realistic option. They are priced to compete with their full sizes running $5.00 and their minis $3.00. If you buy their listed set of ten samples? They're only 50 cents each. Sweet, no?

The company's listings look quite lovely and organized. The shop has its full sizes categorized into "Bright Colors," "Pastel Colors," "Neutral Colors," "Smokey Colors," and there are clear and nicely labeled swatches of the shades available in the listings. Ingredients for individual colors are in the materials section.

Sample packaging
As you can see, the company's name, the colors name and the ingredients are all printed on the sample labeling. The initial problem with these labels, for me, was that the font is quite small--legible, but barely so. I mentioned it to the owner, and she told me she'll be fixing that. The plastic of these 2x2 baggies feels nice and sturdy. I doubt you'd accidentally rip it, or something. Or at least not under normal circumstances. The samples are generous. I've tested these shades, worn them, swatched them, and still have some left over, so hopefully I can use these in a few faces that I'll be posting.

Left to Right: Full Size Jar, Mini Size Jar
You can see that these are also clearly and fully labelled. If you click the thumbnail, you'll be able to see that the ingredients here are completely legible. Just yesterday, I suggested that in the future she might want to include information about whether colors are vegan and lip safe, and she said that she thought that'd be a good idea. (I'm really glad that the seller is receptive to suggestions and things--I really do think that with any handmade business that can be the difference between whether or not a customer comes back).

And the packaging? It's so sleek and nice looking.

Top of a full size
The 5 gram jars have matte black lids and matte black labels that say Sundara. Macro mode tends to pick up every last flaw in anything (including stickers), but if you look up at the image at the head of this post, you'll get a much better idea of what the jar looks like from a reasonable distance.

Top of a mini size
The tops of the mini sizes bear transparent stickers. At a glance, it looks a lot like a stamp. Again, very sleek looking. It's a shame macro mode makes everything look scuffed. And by the way, yes, that is a sifter sticker with a tab. Be still my heart.

These are all heat sealed with serrated shrink wrap
The company goes to very good lengths to ensure that product isn't spilled. They do the standard sifter sticker and shrink wrap, but they also wrap everything up very snugly in plastic, as you can see in the image at the top of this post. Everything was baggied, covered in plastic, held together with stickers; the works. I really appreciate the individual care that went into packing up my order.

Communication is easy, pleasant and prompt. Like I said, criticism and suggestions are well received and always responded to (requested even), at least in my experience.

Sneak peek: here are the colors I'll be swatching and reviewing for you later on. You can click the thumbnail to get a better look at the labels!

The Good:
  • Fast, easy communication.
  • Lots of effort put into presentation.
  • Multiple sizes available. Yay!
  • Everything is wrapped up to minimize risk of spillage.
  • The shop is organized and the listings are clear with well-labelled swatches.
The Bad:
Nothing that comes to mind.

The Neutral:
  • Lip safety/vegan info isn't currently on individual shades.
Overall, my experience with the company was largely positive, and if any items should catch your eye, I certainly wouldn't steer you away. After trying out a couple of the shades, I have some idea of what I'll be buying from them in the future myself.

Sundara Cosmetics sells through Etsy.

This review contains a sample/s sent by a company for evaluation purposes. All opinions expressed are my own, and fully honest based on my own experience/s.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...