Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: MAC Candy Yum-Yum Lipstick

Friday, April 8, 2011

MAC Candy Yum-Yum Lipstick

When I first saw this in the promo images for Quite Cute, I thought that I was lusting over a bright, blue-based pink the likes of Girl About Town (one of my favorite permanent lipsticks). However, this is a very unique bright pink, that I totally think out-pinks any other bright pink I've ever tried.

Despite what it looked like to me in the tube, Candy Yum-Yum is actually not a heavily blue-based pink. In fact, when it's on my lips, it barely looks blue-based at all.


Here's a quick comparison swatch:
Left to Right: Show Orchid, Candy Yum-Yum, Girl About Town
See? This isn't one of the average bright magentas that seem to be ubiquitous every spring. It's a burn-your-retinas-out-bright, 1,000,000% pink type of pink. It's definitely not a dupe of anything in the fuchsia or magenta color families.

Candy Yum-Yum on lips
The texture of Candy Yum-Yum is very different from MAC's other mattes in terms of texture. As I mentioned yesterday, this shade feels almost powdery on the lips. That may sound a bit gross, but for me, it's rather comfortable. After application, I can't really feel it at all. Like all mattes, this emphasizes dryness of the lips, so you may want to take some extra time to prep (or wear a gloss on top, if you don't care about keeping the matte finish).

This shade wears for an astounding 6 hours on me (if I don't eat; if I do eat, it seems to come right off, so I'd say you should be ready to reapply afterward) and doesn't seem to transfer at all. I did the same suck-the-back-of-my-hand test that I did while testing Inglot's Lip Pencil and simply couldn't get any transfer, so it just didn't make sense for me to post a photo of the back of my bare hand (unless you guys really want to see; just let me know and I'll happily press my Candy Yum-Yum'd lips to my hand and snap a picture for you). This shade also leaves a really lovely hot pink stain behind.

Just some info about wearing this: if you're like me and have a naturally well-defined lipline, you're probably going to want to use something to define the border of your lips (either use a lipliner, or use a q-tip to carefully remove the lipstick from the area where your natural lipline is) as this color is so opaque that it seems to swallow my lips' natural pigmentation up entirely, and make them look a bit overly flat at the borders.

The Good:
  • Very opaque.
  • The color is unique. I own a few bright pinks, but none of them comes close.
  • I don't feel it on my lips.
  • It easily wears for six hours if you don't eat a full meal.
  • It leaves a truly lovely stain.
  • Doesn't transfer at all.
The Bad:
  • Doesn't last through meals.
The Neutral:
  • The texture is different. It's almost powdery, and I, personally, love this about it. Others may not.
  • This has the usual light, vanilla scent characteristic of MAC lipsticks.
  • As drying as any matte, perhaps a touch more. Remember to prep.
Overall, I think this is a lovely, unique shade that would be a great addition to any lipstick collection. It's nice and bright, completely opaque, and wears very well. This texture is a bit different than other MAC mattes, though, so if the texture sounds like something you may hate, you might want to try it out in person.

This is currently available at MAC stores, counters and online for $14.50. Thank goodness it's finally in the What's New section. There's also a Cute Pinball game up on Facebook, that's pretty fun. Just sayin'!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...