Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Zapzyt Pore Treatment Gel

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Zapzyt Pore Treatment Gel

Zapzyt Pore Treatment gel is a gel-type spot treatment with 2% Salicylic Acid. I've been using this gel for a month and a half. It claims to help clear up breakouts and not dry out skin. The label also mentions that it contains 'natural botanicals'. Keep reading for my assessment!

First let's describe the product. It's a clear gel with a very moisturizing conistency: it's first ingredient is Propylene Glycol, so this can be expected. The smell of this is not a pleasant one. I don't find it to be particularly noxious, or anything like that, but it smells almost like gasoline. I don't smell it once its on, but there are people with more sensitive noses than mine who should be aware of the odd scent.

As the label says, it does create an invisible film over a spot where it's applied. If you've ever used a liquid bandage, it's like that but much less sticky. Because of the consistency, I was afraid what the film would look like if I were to have it on under makeup, but it wasn't a problem. If you wear liquid or cream foundation there will probably be no issue at all (I didn't have any). If you wear powder it may cake a bit on top of the film unless you use a primer (which is something I use anyway).

The 'natural botanicals' appear to be Aloe Vera Gel, Kola, and Guarana and Mate Extract. They're all rather far down the list so I'm not sure if they have much effect. This product was soothing, but my guess is that it was probably more because of the Propylene Glycol rather than the Aloe Vera.

If you have trouble reading, click the image!
For this product, basically you apply a thin layer after washing your face. Pay special attention to the 'rub in well' direction. The tube says the treatment takes '60 seconds' to disappear, but it goes a bit faster for me. I find it to be more like 30 seconds.

A lot of the time, with spot treatments, I like to spread it over my entire face while I'm breaking out as a sort of preemptive measure. That's not really an option with this gel. The first time I tried this, a minute later it looked like my face was flaking off. It wasn't, it was just the spot treatment flaking off, thank goodness. This spot treatment is really just for spots. I should point out that the treatment doesn't flake off when used as directed.

I found this spot treatment did very little (if anything) for the deep down pimples, but then again few products seem to really help those, and this is billed as a 'pore treatment gel'. My main acne issue (besides the occasional cystic pimple on my chin just before my period starts) is pore congestion. Let me tell you, for those clogged surface pores, this worked wonders for me. The best part is that it cleared my clogged pores without making my skin visibly peel off like other salicylic acid acne treatments often do. This also seemed to help lessen redness on the one medium-sized non-cystic pimple that I got. I don't get these very often, so I'm not sure how well it works on these generally, but it was gone overnight.

I also find that, despite my initial dubiosity about the 'drying as a film' thing, I like the idea of a product creating a thin barrier between my makeup and my acne. While makeup doesn't usually provoke my acne, I like the idea of my healing blemish being covered by something, 'cause it can't hurt to keep makeup off a pimple, you know?

The Good:
  • Moisturizing.
  • Helped clear up my congested pores and a surface pimple.
  • Doesn't cause my skin to peel.
  • The tube contains more product than the average spot treatment. Most spot treatments have .5 oz of product, whereas this has .75 oz. That's 50% more!
The Bad:
  • Can't be used all over the face. I know I'm not the only one who likes to use spot treatments that way!
  • Weird smell. It wasn't bad enough to effect my general experience with the product, but it certainly isn't a good thing.
The Neutral:
  • Creates a film over blemish. This can be either good or annoying, depending on your viewpoint.
  • Uses Salicylic Acid/doesn't fix cystic pimples. This is under neutral, because the product doesn't claim to, and Salicylic Acid is an exfoliating ingredient: it doesn't tend to help with deep down pimples to begin with, or at least not for most people.
Overall, if Salycild Acid works well for you, but makes your skin peel and flake, this is probably worth a try. This works well to clear up my pore congestion, but as with all skin care products, there's a lot of variation between people in what works and what doesn't. Zapzyt, however, guarantees its products. Quoting from drugstore.com:
ZAPZYT Pore Treatment Gel is guaranteed to clear you skin. If ZAPZYT is used as directed and you don't get the results you're looking for, return the unused portion and receipt to the address on the box for a full refund.
I've never done this, but it sounds like you don't have a lot to lose.

Zapzyt is available in various drugstores and chains and is currently $5.29 at drugstore.com.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...