Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Urban Decay's 15-Year Anniversary Glide-On Pencil Set

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Urban Decay's 15-Year Anniversary Glide-On Pencil Set

As a die-hard Urban Decay fan, I'm pretty much obligated to share my opinion of this set. I mean, it's practically the law, right? This set has pretty much all of the colors you could ever need, and since its announcement, I knew I'd get it. In fact, I bought it within the hour it went up for sale on Urban Decay's website.

The  packaging on this is a large box with a clear window and magnetic closure. In my opinion, this box is SO pretty. Just so you guys know, the tray holding the pencils comes out, so you can definitely use the box for something else!

Urban Decay's 15th Anniversary set is an amazing value, as I'm sure you've heard every other blogger say, but it's the absolute truth. The set retails at a whopping $92 dollars, but with fifteen pencils inside, that averages to just over $6.13 a pencil. If you factor in that the sharpener is $10, it's actually just under $5.47 per pencil.  Being that Urban Decay's 24/7 Pencils generally retail at $17 bucks each the bargain is amazing, and even if you only like six pencils (the number of set-exclusive shades), you're getting your money's worth (just over $15.33 per pencil, $13.66 each if you factor in the sharpener). You get pretty much any color you could possibly need in Urban Decay's absolutely amazing 24/7 Glide On Pencil formula.

Urban Decay's Glide On Pencil formula is my favorite. It's creamy and long wearing. You get sufficient time to smudge it if you want to, but afterward it doesn't budge until you wash it off. I have no gripes with this set and simply love it to pieces.


The Grindhouse sharpener is really adorable. It works for two sizes: the size of a standard eye pencil and the size of one of their new shadow pencils. What I like about this is has a little compartment for pencil shavings, which a lot of cosmetic sharpeners lack. Additionally the little plastic bit that keeps the shavings inside also keeps the blade from being exposed. This means that if you stick it in your makeup bag, the blade probably won't get damaged or damage something else.



On to the colors:
Left to Right: Asphyxia, Corrupt, Binge, Baked, Zero
Asphyxia is a very shimmery pink-y purple exclusive to this set. Besides Perversion, this is my favorite!
Corrupt is a metallic, cool medium brown that's only in this set.
Binge is seriously royal blue. I absolutely love this shade!
Baked is a bronze-y gold that looks just plain gold on me.
Zero used to be my favorite black liner. Like I said in my review of UD's Naked Palette, any fan of Urban Decay will have quite a few of these in it's miniature incarnation. Not that that has any bearing on it not being my favorite. It's very nice, but it's nothing compared to...

Left to Right, Perversion, Ransom, Rockstar, Stash, Midnight Cowboy
Perversion is deep black. Up 'til I met this color my favorite black liner was Zero. This shade is only available in this box (unfortunately).
Ransom is a very bright blue-purple.
Rockstar is a deep red purple. Almost like Ransom's polar-purple-opposite, or something.
Stash is a deep green with some gold to it. Sephora's site calls it "mossy," which, in my opinion, is very accurate.
Midnight Cowboy is a very light, gilded champagne. This color is great for the waterline to make eyes brighter, especially for those of us who find white too light to do that properly without looking strange. I have to be honest, I was scared this liner would have Midnight Cowboy's famous chunky, straight up glitter. I was pleased to be wrong. This is only available from the set.

Mildew, Electric, Bourbon, Uzi, Stray Dog
Mildew is a very true green with gold shimmer on my eyes, but it looks darker on the skin of my arm
Electric is a bright cyan. Doesn't this color just pop?
Bourbon is a warm, dark brown.
Uzi is a medium gray with fine microshimmer. This is only in the set!
Stray Dog is shimmering taupe and only available in this set. It pulls a bit purple-ish on my skin tone, but it's still clearly taupe.

Left to Right: Asphyxia, Corrupt, Binge, Baked, Zero
Left to Right: Perversion, Ransom, Rockstar, Stash, Midnight Cowboy
Left to Right: Mildew, Electric, Bourbon, Uzi, Stray Dog
 The Good:
  • The liners are creamy.
  • They're also pigmented.
  • They have amazing wear.
  • The sharpener is easy to carry and works well.
  • You get a great value for your money.
  • You can use the box for other things. This might not matter to some people, but I love it!
The Bad:
Nothing here!

The Neutral:
  • A downfall of all mega-sets: you may not want every color. I might list this under bad in some cases, but in this case the value is so good that even if you don't want nine of the fifteen colors, you'll still come out ahead.
Overall, I highly recommend this to any fans of the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Pencil formula, because you get great variety and great value in this set. The liners are, in my opinion, amazing quality. The formula is super creamy and long wearing at the same time, which can be hard to find.

The full set is currently available for purchase at Sephora or the Urban Decay website for $92.
You can currently purchase most of these pencils on their own for $17.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...