Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Stila Travel Palette: Trendsetting in Tokyo

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stila Travel Palette: Trendsetting in Tokyo

Stila has some amazing and incredibly affordable travel palettes. I bought three of these palettes, and I have to say that of the three this is my favorite by far.

Just for a quick review, the eyeshadow pans in this palette are also set a millimeter deep into the cardboard to keep the powder from migrating into the cream. It's a thoughtful touch on Stila's part. The value is the same. You get 0.15 oz of eyeshadow and 0.09 oz of convertible color. For a more in depth breakdown on the value of this palette check out my post on the Adventurous in Aspen palette. Basically, though, you get $30 worth of eyeshadow and $15 of Convertible Color. Not bad for $10, no?

Left: Stila Convertible Color in Sakura
Right (Clockwise From Upper Left): Shibuya, Sake, Kawai, Peace Sign
The packaging of this palette is similar to that of the other two palettes, save for the design on the outside. The cardboard is sturdy enough that I'm sure it'd hold up fine in a makeup drawer, or even in a purse, but you might want to be careful if you plan on tossing it in your school bag. I can imagine the cardboard acquiring a lot of scuffs and scratches over the years. The magnetic closure is strong enough to keep it closed unless you want it open.

This convertible color is more similar in texture to Fabulous in Fiji than Adventurous in Aspen, but it falls somewhere in between. It's dewy and moisturizing, but not quite as dewy. It's by far the nicest of the three (at least in my opinion) and does very well on my lips. I really wish that this color were permanent, because I'd buy a full-sized version of this in a snap.

On to the colors:
Left to Right: Sake, Shibuya, Peace Sign, Kawai
Sake is a shimmery beige. It's sheerer than the other colors, but not sheer like R&R (from Fabulous in Fiji). It's very easy to blend and makes a great highlight on me.
Shibuya is a matte blue that's slightly deeper and more pigmented than Fabulous in Fiji's Wave. The two shades are incredibly similar, but this was easier to swatch and less dry, in my opinion.
Peace Sign is matte black with what looks to me like purple, blue and gold glitter. It's very pretty and a bit on the dry side. The glitter is very fine and doesn't migrate much on me.
Kawai is a bubblegum-y blue pink with a bit of a sheen, but no shimmer. It's fairly easy to blend, and my favorite shade from all three of these palettes!

Left to Right: Sakura (blended out with a blush brush), Sakura (swatched with a lip brush)
Sakura is a pretty, sheer fuchsia. The texture of this Convertible color fell somewhere in between Rosy and Plumeria, but closer to Plumeria. On the cheeks, the dewiness of this shows up as just the smallest hint of sheen, for me. It's still a bit too much for me to want to use on my face, but it's certainly not a bad texture.

Sakura, applied with a lip brush
In my opinion, this is a seriously awesome lip color.

The Good:

  • Good bang for your buck!
  • Good pigmentation shadows have awesome pigmentation.
  • The Convertible Color makes a good blush for those who enjoy a dewy finish.
  • The Convertible Color also makes an awesome moisturizing tint with fair pigmentation.
  • You can try a Convertible Color at a fraction of the price of a full size.
The Bad:
  • Creams and powders in one palette. Broken record, I know.
The Neutral:
  • This Convertible color has a dewy finish, so not everyone will want to use it as a blush.
  • Cardboard packaging. It's sturdy enough that I'm sure it'd last years in a makeup drawer. While I don't think that it'd break, it would probably get scuffed up on the go unless you're careful.

The Stila's Adventurous in Aspen palette can currently be purchased for $10 at Sephora.com or StilaCosmetics.com.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...