Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick: Homegirl and Mi Vida Loca

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick: Homegirl and Mi Vida Loca

Hey, guys! I was planning on posting about the Sephora by OPI Glee Collection today, but I was reading one of my favorite beauty blogs, and I spied that Kat Von D's Painted Love Lipstick in Mi Vida Loca is currently 8 bucks on Sephora's website, so I thought I'd put this post up a bit earlier than I'd originally intended. It is a review including Mi Vida Loca and my murdered tube of Homegirl. It's still in there but the lipstick broke, so I have to use a lip brush to put it on.

Kat Von D's lipsticks have super rich color and amazing pigmentation. They can be sheered down or built up to full coverage without too much effort, which is what I absolutely adore about them.
Mi Vida Loca
Just a quick note, I won't be providing a picture of an open tube shot of Homegirl because to all of us lipstick lovers, it would be all too tragic to see (and not a proper representation of what you'd be buying, anyway).

Mi Vida Loca
Homegirl
Pardon the funny expression in the Homegirl shot, but I wanted to show you guys how blindingly white it makes teeth look.

Mi Vida Loca has the thick texture I described in my last Kat Von D lipstick review. Just for a quick recap, this keeps it from feathering, migrating or bleeding at all on me. It wears for five hours easily and begins to fade sometime between five and seven hours, leaving a light stain behind. It isn't moisturizing, but it doesn't dry me out either. Use a lip balm underneath and you ought to be fine.

Homegirl is a bit different. It's not quite as thick and creamy, and has a bit of gloss to the finish. It wears just as long and still leaves a stain behind, but it has more of a tendency to bleed into lip lines. The trade-off is that I genuinely find this to be moisturizing. Using lipliner counteracts the bleeding completely for me.

On to the colors:

Left to Right: Mi Vida Loca, Rosary, Homegirl
I'll be talking more in depth about Rosary in another review.

Mi Vida Loca is a neutral, milk chocolate brown. If your lips are rosy, it'll pick up on that and look pinker. It leaves a pale brown stain behind if I use a heavy hand with it. This has a semi-matte finish.
Homegirl is described by Sephora as a plummy brown, but I think it's more of a brown-tinged plum. It leaves a deep purple stain on me, regardless of how heavily I apply. This is my favorite color of the range. It makes my teeth look so white, you guys!

The Good:
  • Very pigmented but easy to manipulate. It's as easy to sheer them down as it is to build them up.
  • Available in a wide range of colors. I've also reviewed Hellbent and Lolita.
  • Really pretty packaging with rose designs and a lucite bottom that shows you the color inside the tube.
  • Long wear.
The Bad:
  • You can feel Mi Vida Loca it for as long as its on. Some people may like this, but I really don't. Sometimes I just feel like rubbing it off!
  • Mi Vida Loca can feel drying on lips, so make sure you prep. Homegirl is moisturizing, in my opinion, but it also has a tendency to bleed.
The Neutral:
  • Waxy smell.
  • The colors stain. I love this about them, actually, except when I do arm swatches.
Overall, if you like lip colors that have long wear and rich pigmentation, I think these'll be right up your alley. The color range has deep colors, bright colors and some nudes, so there should be something for everyone.

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipsticks are currently available at Sephora for $18.00 here. Mi Vida Loca is currently $8 here. I hope it's not being discontinued, because I love the shade!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...