Quantcast
Fierce Nerditude: One Nerdy Little Beauty Blog: Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick: Hellbent and Lolita

Friday, February 11, 2011

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipstick: Hellbent and Lolita



When the Kat Von D line at Sephora first came out, I was totally thrilled. I love super pigmented, brightly colored makeup, and the pretty packaging was to die for! Over time, I've really come to favor the Kat Von D lip products. The first I'd ever tried were the painted love lipsticks in Lolita, Homegirl and Hellbent. (I'd bought them all in a set together!)



Unfortunately, my much loved, much abused tube of Homegirl didn't survive to be with us for this review, however, she lives on in our memory.

Seriously guys, I pretty much accidentally murdered it. Hellbent and Lolita, however, live on.




Sephora.com describes Kat Von D's painted love lipsticks as rich and full color. They're not lying. I have ultra-pigmented lips, and the painted love lipsticks can be built up to full coverage on me without fail. Check it out:
Lolita

Hellbent
What I love about these is that while you can build them up to be as opaque as you want (the above took three strokes on both the upper and lower lips), you can also just use one layer and blot for a more muted look.

These have a thick texture that might put some people off. After you put them on, you can expect to feel them on your lips. I don't personally find these drying, but I don't generally have a problem with moisture in my lips either. If you have drier lips, these may emphasize that, so you might want to exfoliate and moisturize your lips before you apply. On the flipside, the thickness also seems to make it less prone to bleeding, feathering and migration.

The Kat Von D Painted Love Lipsticks also have excellent wear. When I put Lolita on in the morning (at around 5:30 am) it still looks great, though not quite as opaque by lunch (10:30 am). If I don't reapply, the lipstick itself is gone by noon, however the stain is still there. Hellbent wears about the same on me, but the stain lingers for a longer time.

Oh, and by the way, they also all seem to smell like wax. It's not an offensive smell, but I wouldn't call it pleasant, either.The scent doesn't linger on your lips, but I just thought it was worth noting.

On to the colors:

Left to Right: Hellbent, Lolita

Hellbent is a bloody red color. It leaves a dark red stain behind on my lips whether I use a light hand or not.
Lolita is a dusty rose shade that seems to have some warm tones to it. This can also stain if you use a heavy hand with it. On me the stain it leaves looks like a mauve taupe.

Both of these have a satin-y, semi-matte finish; the glossy look in the lip swatches comes from a fluorescent light being shone directly on my lips.



The Good:
  • These shades are really pigmented, but also easy to manipulate. You can play them down just as easily as you can build them up!
  • A wide range of colors available, including some really nice reds. There are even some nudes, too!
  • Really pretty packaging with rose designs and a lucite bottom that shows you the color inside the tube.
  • Long wear.

 The Bad:
  • You can feel it for as long as its on. Some people may like this, but I really don't. Sometimes I just feel like rubbing it off!
  • Can be drying on dry lips: make sure you moisturize!

 The Neutral:
  • Waxy smell.
  • Semi-matte finish.
  • The colors can stain your lips. And skin. The area I had the arm swatches on is still stained as I'm typing this.

Overall, if you like lip colors that have long wear and rich pigmentation, I think these'll be right up your alley. The color range has deep colors, bright colors and some nudes, so there should be something for everyone.

Kat Von D Painted Love Lipsticks are currently available at Sephora for $18.00 here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...